Starting Mon 22nd June. Mon and Wed. 7pm - 9pm.
Central is excited to have specially re-purpose its intermediate playwriting course for online provision.
Meeting twice a week for four weeks, this intermediate level playwriting course is an exciting opportunity to work with an established playwright to develop writing your play in more detail.
Who is this course for?
• People that have written the first scene of a play on Central's Playwriting: An Intro online course who want to develop their play further
• Those that have completed an introductory level course elsewhere and already have a partially completed play or detailed treatment that they would like to flesh out further.
You will cover:-
• expanding your initial scene or treatment to several key scenes or more
• developing scenes with more than two characters and creating complex
interactions and relationships
• challenging yourself to go bigger and be more ambitious in your writing - thinking beyond everyday lived experience towards exploring the greater and more expressive possibilities of theatre
• moving from cliché towards subtlety & nuance thus creating credibility in character, dialogue and story
• developing, redrafting and deepening your original idea, characterisations and character arcs
• exploring the structure of your play scene by scene for maximum effect
• crafting your unique voice as a writer
• organising your own readings, workshops and feedback sessions in the future
• how to submit work to theatre companies, agents and publishers
By the end of the course you will have: the tools you need to complete your play; tested and redrafted the structure of your plot; a developed breakdown of your characters’ story arc and conflicts they meet; and a fully written and analysed sequence of key scenes. You will also be introduced to the skills involved in redrafting your script and working with notes.
If you go on to complete your play in your own time once the course has been completed, for an additional fee, you can submit your completed play to the tutor for written feedback.
The course is led by a contemporary playwright.
Times: Mondays and Wednesdays, 7.00pm - 9.00pm (GMT +1) for 4 weeks. The course consists of 8 sessions in total.
Age: Minimum age is 18 on the first day of the course. No upper age limit.
Language requirements: Applicants must be confident speaking and reading English to a conversational level (IELTS score of 7.0 or equivalent). Please note, you will be expected to read texts/scripts that may have advanced vocabulary in them on this course.
Maximum class size: 12
Attendance: Due to the structure of the courses and it's collaborative nature, full attendance is requested.
Refunds: We are able to offer a full refund up until 7 days before the course begins. After this the course will become fully non-refundable.
Please ensure you have read Central's Evening Courses and Online Courses Applications and Terms and Conditions before booking.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Mondays and Wednesdays, 7.00pm - 9.00pm (GMT +1)
Our courses are available on a first come, first served basis in order of payment. To secure a place, please take the following steps:-
1. Read through our Terms and Conditions before booking.
2. Click on "Book Now" above. Please make sure you are booking for the correct course and option (ie Mon/Wed or Tue/Thu if more than one option is available).
3. Click on 'Tickets' on our Eventbrite booking page and follow the instructions.
4. If you preferred dates are sold out, you can join the waiting list via Eventbrite and we'll let you know if a place becomes available or when new dates go on sale.
Please see our Online Short Courses FAQ page for more details.