Working in the UK

Many students supplement their income with part-time work. However, there are some restrictions affecting international students.

From 1999, general permission to work was given for all students from overseas, subject to certain conditions. Students already in this country holding 'prohibition' on working can now apply to have this changed to 'restriction', with an easier system for obtaining a work permit.

EEA Students

If you come from within the European Economic Area (EEA) there are no restrictions and you can work without needing permission.

Students From Outside EEA

If you are from outside the EEA, you will normally be allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during the term (unlimited out of term), unless your visa or immigration stamp shown in your passport says otherwise. Where the stamp says ‘consent of the Secretary of State' needed, this usually means 20 hours is permitted.

A restriction can be lifted if you get permission from the Employment Services Agency at your local Job Centre. Spouses of overseas students are now allowed to work too, provided they have leave to remain here for 12 months. You can look on the Department for Education or Work Permits websites for further information.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is an organisation dedicated to supporting international students. Their website has a vast array of useful information and advice, from working in the UK and immigration and visas, to dealing with culture shock.


Admissions and Student Recruitment

+44 (0)20 7559 3912